Web developer in Leipzig or remote
For social, ecological and democratic progress, tailor-made and user-friendly online tools are necessary. Tools that give people the ability to raise their voices for change.
The digital agency about:source is specialized in the implementation of campaign websites. We create and run campaign tools for Campact, WeAct and other organizations to help people strive for political and societal changes.
Our standards of quality and technical orientation set us apart from similar agencies – our team of 17 people develops and maintains tailor-made, high-performance software. You can see a selection of our existing projects here.
At about:source, we‘re politically active people who want to identify with our work and make a positive difference. For this reason we choose carefully whom we work for and decline requests when we don‘t share the goals of a potential client.
We are looking for a developer as soon as possible in Leipzig or remote
You don‘t just care about who you work for, but also how? Then we‘re the right place for you. The team as a whole plays a central role, we take strategic decisions together – and most of the time by consensus. Wages and working times are also part of the conditions that you can and are welcomed to take part in shaping.
You don‘t live in Leipzig, but can imagine coming to Leipzig for a day from time to time for a team meeting? We‘ll be happy to look for a flexible model so that you can work with us remotely.
Your future tasks
- You develop sophisticated campaign- and software tools and always have the clients‘ needs in mind
- You pay attention to long-term and scalable solutions
- On some projects you‘re directly in contact with our clients, communicating the project‘s progress, answering questions and discussing decisions regarding software-architecture and implementation
- You take part in the general assembly once a month, where we take important decisions on about:source‘s direction
What we expect of you
- You have graduated in information technologies or have comparable knowledge
- You have several years of experience in the development of software, especially web applications
- You have worked in self-organized teams, preparing, implementing and maintaining sophisticated and varied web-projects, during which you gathered experience with SCRUM or Kanban
- You‘re capable of understanding, documenting and optimizing complex structures
- Ideally you have worked with Ruby on Rails / Django / Laravel or similar frameworks
- You appreciate grassroots democratic decision making and have ideally already gained own experience in such groups
- You communicate clearly, while appreciating other points of view
- You have an opinion, can step down from it and be content with compromises
- You like what you do – and keep an eye on new developments in the field by consulting the relevant media and visiting the respective events
- You have fun explaining technical issues in a way that laypersons can understand them
- The security and protection of data are important to you
- You speak, read and write German and English well
What we offer
- The possibility to use your skills for important political changes
- Challenging tasks and complex problems, which we tackle together
- The possibility to take part in shaping the direction of our work in various areas
- A high level of autonomous responsibility and freedom of design
- Nice colleagues who are motivated, because their work – and their free time – is important to them
- A several-day „retreat“ with the team once a year, where we jointly work on the big strategic questions of about:source
- An open-ended contract for a part- or full-time job (32-40 hours/week)
- 30 days of vacation
- Openness for other models of collaboration with you as a freelancer or as a person working remotely, who can‘t be in the office in Leipzig (often)
If you would like to put your experience to use in a meaningful context, you like developing complex web applications and you find participation in decision-making important: We‘re looking forward to your application!
Please send us your application documents (letter of motivation, résumé, relevant references) with information about your desired salary and a possible starting date.
As we would like to fill the vacant positions quickly, we‘re looking forward to your application!